Term Slug
member

Mitchell creates political history in the Caribbean

ST. GEORGE’S, Grenada, CMC – 65-year-old Keith Claudius Mitchell entered into the history of Caribbean politics when he led his New National Party (NNP) to a clean sweep of the 15 seats at stake in Tuesday’s general election, becoming the first political leader here to achieve the feat, having previously done so in 1999. Mitchell, whose NNP had been booted out of office in 2008 by the National Democratic Congress (NDC) of outgoing prime minister Tillman Thomas, said, however, he hoped to leave a legacy of having united the people of Grenada, Carriacou and Petite Martinique.

Caribbean leaders conclude historic summit in Haiti

PORT-AU-PRINCE -- Caribbean leaders concluded a two-day summit in Haiti by deciding to progressively introduce French as a second language in their 15-member regional trade bloc and to hone in on the challenges facing their vulnerable economies.
Caribbean Community leaders also pledged to hold a summit with the United States within the year to address deportees and other concerns while also issuing a strongly worded communiqué accusing another super power — the United Kingdom — of trampling on democracy in Turks and Caicos with its “constant infractions of democratic principles.”

Keep The Queen - Advisor to British PM urges Jamaica

KINGSTON, Jamaica -JAMAICA should step cautiously in its attempt to remove the Queen of England as head of state, as it could have adverse consequences, a special advisor to British Prime Minister David Cameron has said.
Shaun Bailey, a budding, black politician who is of Jamaican heritage, told Jamaica Observer executives and journalists yesterday at the newspaper's weekly Monday Exchange, that it would not be in Jamaica's best interest for The Queen to be removed as this north Caribbean island's head of state.

Time for a visionary WICB president

PORT OF SAPIN, Trinidad - Next month, Dr Julian Hunte will be in a three-way fight to retain the presidency of the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB). He will be going after a fourth successive term, although he had previously hinted he might finally step down from the position he has held since July 2007.

Opposition Leader accuses PM Gonsalves of lying about BBC matter

KINGSTOWN, St. Vincent, CMC – Opposition Leader Arnhim Eustace has accused Prime Minister Dr. Ralph Gonsalves of not telling the truth when he told the nation that two journalists from the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) had said he (Eustace) was the source of information that a foreign investor had left a briefcase with money at the office of the prime minister recently.

PM accuses opposition and foreigners of undermining economic development

KINGSTOWN, St. Vincent, CMC – Prime Minister Dr. Ralph Gonsalves has accused the opposition New Democratic Party (NDP) of joining with foreigners to undermine economic development in St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Gonsalves made the claims in a radio programme on Sunday after he told listeners of an encounter he had with two journalists from the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) while aboard an aircraft in Barbados.

Court reserves judgement in opposition challenge

ROSEAU, Dominica, Feb 19, CMC – High Court judge Lionel Jones has reserved judgment on whether or not to uphold an application to strike out a challenge by the main opposition United Workers Party (UWP) to the nomination of Eluid Williams as President of Dominica. Opposition Leader Hector John filed the lawsuit in October last year claiming that Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit’s nomination of Williams for election to the office of the President of the Commonwealth of Dominica was “unconstitutional, null and void”. Hector is also challenging the procedure and process of the election.

Military Court throws out request to dismiss charges against President Bouterse

PARAMARIBO, SURINAME, CMC – A military court has denied a request to dismiss a case in which President Desi Bouterse and several others are implicated in the deaths of 15 prominent people who were opposed to the then military government in Suriname in 1982. The Military Court is reported to have delivered its verdict last week when it met behind closed doors, according to the Suriname based website, Devsur. Com It said that attorney Irwin Kanhai had submitted the request on behalf of three of the accused.

OECS begins consultations on WTO trade issues

CASTRIES, St. Lucia, CMC – A series of consultations aimed at identifying national and regional measures to better facilitate trade in keeping with the commitments being negotiated under trade facilitation within the World Trade Organization (WTO) began here on Monday.
The consultations to be held throughout the seven-member Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States are aimed at simplifying and harmonizing international trade procedures such as payment of fees, access to information and cooperation between customs and other authorities. 

Bahamas to stage international business forum

NASSAU, Bahamas, CMC – Prime Minister Perry Christie will address the Bahamas International Investment and Business Forum that begins here on Wednesday. The organisers said that the two-day event has attracted participation from more than 27 countries and is being held under the theme “At the Crossroads of 21st Century Trade and Investment”.